Its well known that if you try to re-use a glass jar it WILL take you HOURS to get the label off. However, as users of old glass jars for many years, we know the trick to getting those pesky labels off - just use an essential oil! Something like peppermint or tea tree will do the trick.
- Clean your old jar with hot soapy water to remove old food
- Soak jar in hot water for 30-60 minutes to loosen the paper or plastic label
- Use a blunt knife or your finger nail to remove most of the label (try to get down to the sticky glue part underneath)
- Place a small amount of your preferred essential oil (peppermint, tea tree, or lime work best) on an old rag or handkerchief
- Wipe away the glue from the jar
- Repeat step 4 & 5 as many times as needed to get rid of the residue completely
- Clean jar with hot soapy water again to remove oil and check all glue is gone
- Dry jar and be happy with your clean glass jar ready for all your bulk food goodies!
If you are bringing old glass jars into store for us to pass on to others, we very much appreciate having all labels removed - it saves our staff many many hours!