These DIY reed diffusers are simple to make, and you only need a few cheap items (most of which you might already have at home!). But if you don't, we ave everything you need to make these in-store.
- Small jar with small opening
- 1/4 cup carrier oil (safflower oil or sweet almond oil. Or you can use distilled water.)
- 5-6 reed sticks (if using oil). Or bamboo skewers (if using water).
- 25-30 drops essential oils
- 1-2 tablespoons perfumer's alcohol, or vodka (whatever you use, make sure it's at least 90-95% alcohol)
- In a glass measuring cup, add 1/4 cup of your carrier oil or 1/3 cup distilled water.
- Add about 25-30 drops of essential oils
- Add the alcohol and stir thoroughly to help it bind with the oils. Be sure to keep stirring until it's all incorporated well.
- Add the mixture to your jar.
- Insert the sticks into the jar.
- After a few hours, flip the sticks over and insert the dry end into the jar to saturate the other end.
- Continue to swirl the jar and flip the sticks over about every week or so until the scent has diminished. Then, you can just add some more essential oils to the mix, swirl, and start again!